Making your move
Some people move all their belongings themselves. This can be hard work and may mean hiring a van for larger items, but it helps cut the cost of moving. Other people prefer to hire a removal company.
Whatever you decide, we have some top tips for a move without a hitch.
If you're moving yourself, make sure you:
- Get the right size van
- Try to order it as soon as you know you will be moving. We only give you a few days' notice so ring round immediately you know you have an offer
- If you can afford it, get a van with a tail lift. They cost a bit more but make loading big items much easier
- Try moving on a weekday - you might get a better deal
- Make sure you know when the van can be collected and when it needs to be back to avoid any extra charges
- Make sure you pack your belongings properly so they don't move around too much - take a look at our tips on packing.
Using a professional removal company can take a lot of the stress out of moving. Some companies do all the packing and some just transport what you've packed.
Make sure when booking a professional you:
- Hire them as soon asyou've been offered a new property. We only give you a few days' notice so you will have to work quickly
- Make sure they are a British Association of Removers member
- Get at lease three quotes before you decide who to use
- See if it is cheaper on a week day
- Make a list of everything going into the van to make sure they know how many boxes to expect and that it is all picked up
- Tell the company how much you have so they know what size van to use
- Label your boxes and furniture to tell the removers which items need to go where in the new house
- Try to organise a parking space for the van.